Sunday, October 7, 2012

Homemade Shampoo

Well, I have to admit this next tip, I was very skeptical about.  Homemade shampoo.  I knew there would be recipes out there for homemade shampoo, but the one I kept coming across most frequently was surprising.  It only has two ingredients:  baking soda and water.  Yep, that's all.  It just sounded too simple.  However, I'm willing to try anything once, so I figured I'd give it a try.

Here is the recipe:

Homemade Shampoo

1 Tablespoon baking soda
1 Cup water

Mix together and put in an old shampoo bottle for convenience.  Shake well before each use.  Can be doubled or tripled depending on the size of the bottle you want to store it in.  Work in a little at a time and massage in for about 1-2 minutes.  Rinse very thoroughly.

**One note about this mixture that will seem different...the consistency of the shampoo.  It feels like you're squirting water on your head.  It's not going to be thick like a normal shampoo. **

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.  It did not take very much and I have a LOT of hair!  My hair looks and feels very clean.  I would even go so far as to say my hair feels cleaner than it does with my normal shampoo.  It doesn't have that "heavy" feel that some shampoos leave.

I'm curious as to whether it will stay clean as long as it does with normal shampoo.  I just washed with this this morning before church, so I will have to let you know in the next few days how it does for keeping my hair clean compared to regular shampoo.  I normally only have to wash my hair about every 3 days.  We'll see if I can go that long with this mixture.

Stay tuned for more experiments in going "all natural".  I have been very pleased with all the results so far.  I haven't found one thing that did not work yet.  I plan to continue switching over to all natural one by one.  I'm loving all the money that I'm saving and there is a sense of pleasure over knowing that not only am I being a better steward, but it's better for our family by not using so many man-made chemicals/products and better for the environment too.  :-)  It's a win/win situation all around!

Thanks for reading!  ;-)

Blessings to you all this week!

Carrie


No comments:

Post a Comment