Sunday, October 21, 2012

Carpet Care

My sister in law asked me about a cleaner for carpets. I knew I had saved some, but I had to find them first Maigan!  lol!  I've found several that are supposed to have great results.  All are made with simple ingredients that you probably have in your home already.  I do want to say that I have not yet tried these.  I do feel pretty confident that they must work because I read a bunch of reviews when I was looking for them.  Almost all were positive results.  They use some of the same ingredients that the other homemade products I've posted already use.  With each homemade product that I've tried, I've had very good results.  All that being said, however, I cannot speak from first hand experience on these yet.  :-)  If you try them, please write and let me know your experience with them, good or bad.  My goal in all of this is not necessarily to be the "go to expert" on all of the homemade products, I simply want to find alternatives to the expensive cleaners we buy in the stores that work as well, are cheaper and safer than the brand names.  If others can benefit from our research, I'm thrilled to share what we find. 

1)  Spot Cleaner for Carpet

1 cup white vinegar
1 cup warm water

Put in spray bottle and spray directly on the stain and let sit for a few minutes.  Use a damp cloth to rub stain.

For tougher stains found two more solutions:

2)   Carpet Cleaner Solution for Tough Stains

1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup borax
1/4 cup white vinegar

Mix to make a paste.  Use fingers to rub into carpet and leave for a few hours.  Than vacuum over several times. 

3)  Second Cleaner for Tough Stains

1 Tablespoon baking soda
3 Tablespoons vinegar
2 cups water

Mix baking soda and vinegar(this will fizz quite a bit at first).  Add water and stir.  Put in spray bottle.  Scrub with a brush.  Wait 5-10 minutes and blot dry.



4)  Carpet Deodorizer

2 cups baking soda
10 drops of your favorite essential oil

Mix together.  Sprinkle powder on carpet.  Let sit for 30-60 minutes and then vacuum. 


5)  Steam Cleaner Solution  for Steam Cleaning Machines

1/4 cup lemon scented ammonia
1/4 cup white vinegar
3 teaspoons dishwashing soap
a little less than one gallon of hot water

Mix together and add to the solution compartment on your steam cleaner.

I can't wait to try these!  Between having a new puppy and our foyer having carpet in it, we have lots of spots that need cleaning!  Until I can afford to rip up the carpet in the foyer and replace with something more visitor friendly, I will continue trying to keep it clean.  I'm hoping to try these this week since I have a couple of extra days off.    I'll give you an update when I do to let you know how they worked for me. 


UPDATE ON THE DRAIN CLEANER:
Along that same note,  I did use the drain cleaner yesterday and had pretty good results.  I'm shedding hair worse than a cat so our drains seem to constantly be stopping up.  Our drain was not totally clogged yet, just very slow draining.  After using the drain cleaner, it drained much more quickly, but was still a little stopped.  When it is totally unstopped it makes an awful sucking sound. ( It scared Samuel half to death the first time it happened!  lol! He was climbing up the back of the wall trying to get away from it.  )  I think I'm going to do another round of the drain cleaner to see if it completely clears.  Like I said, it drained out much faster, so it did work, but I like it when there is NO standing water at all.  I'm hoping with a second application that'll do the trick.    Remember that this mixture is also used for drain maintenance about once a month.    I think once I get it totally unplugged and use the cleaner as maintenance, we probably won't have the problems we've been having the last few years.


Happy carpet cleaning!  Hope you have good results.  :-)

Have a wonderful week! 

God bless!

Carrie







No comments:

Post a Comment