Friday, November 23, 2012

Pleasure In The Simple Things

I hope that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with many happy memories.  Of course, with it being Thanksgiving week, I've spent a lot of time reflecting on the things I have to be thankful for.  There are many.  The older I get, the more I notice that the things that make me the happiest are the simple things in life. 

Yesterday was such a beautiful day!  After stuffing ourselves, we spent the afternoon relaxing with family and friends.  We played yahtzee.  My dice were not cooperating with me but I didn't care.  We went for a walk down the drive.  It was absolutely gorgeous out there.  The leaves are changing colors right now and it was so beautiful and peaceful.  It was as if God was taking a stroll with us.  :-)

Today we decided to teach our youngest son how to play Go Fish.  Oh my goodness!  He is so cute trying to hold cards.  Then my husband wanted to teach me to play Texas Hold 'Em.  Let's just say professional poker playing is not in my future.  I had so much fun though.

I've caught myself several times in this last week watching my boys playing together, talking, wrestling, snuggling .  It doesn't matter how old they are getting, I will never tire of watching them.  This time is so precious.

The holidays are bittersweet for me.  I know for many it is a difficult time of year.  I think of all those that are no longer here, wishing they were here to share this time with us.  But I am so grateful for the years we had together.  We will see them again some day. 

This has been a pretty difficult year for us in many respects.  But even with that, I still think of the many, many blessings that we have been given.  I am so grateful for all that God has entrusted to me.  So whether I'm singing hymns with our sweet, sweet church family or  sitting in my recliner crocheting while my hubby is watching the football game or watching my little one picking wildflowers and adding to his rock collection, or watching my oldest salivate over homemade pumpkin bread, I choose to rejoice. Life is good, God is great and I am one very blessed individual.  :-)

God bless!

Carrie

 Pumpkin Bread(my mama's recipe)

3 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons nutmeg
3 cups sugar

Mix all these together.  Then add:

4 eggs, beaten
1 cup oil
2/3 cup water
2 cups pumpkin

Mix together and then bake at 350degrees for 1 hour and 10-15 minutes.  (I bake mine in a bundt pan).

This is so good.  It's very moist and one of our family favorites.  I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment