Sunday, September 30, 2012

Rainy Sunday

Instead of waking up to the wonderful pitter patter of rain on the roof, I woke up to Samuel crying because he was sick. Not good!  He started throwing up just before seven and kept on until after eleven.  My poor baby!  He is so pitiful when he's sick.  So he and I stayed home from church this rainy morning.  He does seem to feel a little better now,  I'm happy to report.  Thank you for the prayers for him in church this morning.

Well, since we have a sick one amongst us, I thought I'd make some homemade chicken noodle soup.  This recipe is one I found in my grandmother's recipe box and we love it.  Micah doesn't even like soup and he likes this one a lot!   Not sure how my mother ended up with my mama's recipe box when she died.  Mother was not really "into" cooking so much...maybe that's why she needed the recipe box.  lol! I thought I'd share this recipe with you.  It's easy to make.  Hope you'll try it sometime.  It puts the canned chicken noodle soups to shame!

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

4 cups cooked chicken, diced
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup butter or margarine
12 cups water
1 cup diced carrots
4-7 chicken flavored instant bouillon cubes(depending on how strong you want it)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
6 oz. wide egg noodles

In a large Dutch oven, cook celery and onion in butter until tender; add remaining ingredients except noodles.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer covered 30 minutes.  Add noodles. Cook 10 minutes longer or until noodles are tender, stirring occasionally.  Makes about 4 quarts.

Hope you enjoy it too!

One last thing for today....I mentioned yesterday about all the people we know having difficulties.  It seems like everywhere you turn people are hurting and struggling.  I was really down the other day because it was a difficult week for us.  Micah and I started talking about the hard times so many folks are going through right now, ourselves included.  My frustration was at a high.  It seems like Christians, in particular, seem to be under attack.  People we know who have dedicated their life to serving God and ministering to those in need are going through the most horrible trials.  It just didn't seem "fair".   As we talked through some scriptures and I got alone with God and talked to Him, a peace came over me.  The reality is that we are under attack by a terrible enemy, Satan.  The Bible tells us that he wants to destroy us.   Micah found Psalm 73 for me and we read through it together.  It discusses this very topic...that the evil seem to thrive while the Christians struggle.  However, if you read to the end of the chapter, you will see how the story ends.  I encourage you to read this chapter too if you are going through difficulty and struggling with the "whys?" of it all.  One last verse to leave you with...


"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. "
John 16:33

Hope this will help you too. Thanks for reading!
God bless...

No comments:

Post a Comment